Author Topic: prognosis: death of flatland?  (Read 4655 times)

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
  • neglect not the talents in thee............
Re: prognosis: death of flatland?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 08:46:04 PM »
ALL SPORTS ARE HARD...................we all need to become better at expressing ourselves to the general public....stop trying to be all underground ,hardcore grouches and stop waiting for events to be done in our area..............

teamup with others and throw events.....not the type for riders alone but print flyers......keep the venue tight .....we know we all need and love big areas to ride where everyone can bust out at the same time but hey.that's what practice is for...........

the whole point is we have to find ways to make our sport presentable/marketable...............there's a difference between rider tricks and audience tricks........learn the difference ....learn all and know when and where to do what...............

this is our sport's survival and growth here.......................
Whatever you want in life is gonna take some effort on your part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact is, freestyle riding was, is, and will always be evolving and moving in different directions. So just do what you want and have fun with it. Trends come and go.- TYRONE WILLIAMS

Offline williamflat

• Backpacker
  • Williamflat
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 09:26:15 PM »

flatland has the same problem worldwide

Brazil is known as "soccer country" and the people dont show interest to see another sports ...
 here there are a lot of riders but each one rides in his city or square and a many riders begins and stop fast ...sometimes meeting at jams or comps....the people still get surprise of see a tall guy with a flat bike and say ..."a guy so tall using a bike so small haha" ....the brazilians admire only if you're recognize for media ...appear on tv or win a lot of money...there is no much culture...some people ask me about how I do tricks ..if there is a school for flatland ..ask me about prices ...if I have sponsors....and why I do this for hobby and dont get money to do ...they don't know anything about flat and just think in soccer bah

i just ride for the love of flat
Face your fears and live your dreams

www.facebook.com/williflat

Offline flatmonkey

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 09:58:39 PM »
My friends I think many people I talk to who ride make valid points on both sides of the fence and everyone is intitled to their opinions.   I do not want to get in any argument here but, I rode back in the 80s during the Haro era and I now ride today.  The funny thing is only in my opinion the heart of Flatland has never changed in terms of riders coming together.  I would agree many are right in terms of their was a lot of corporate input in it in the 80s and a lot of money going into it.  People did make a lot of money of the sport.  My kids (3year old) and 11 (year old) ride Flatland not, because I push them to do so....They saw me doing it and loved it.....Some riders want to travel and make a living doing it....some just want to ride and have fun...I do what I do not to shove it down kids throats or even say look at me...I also do not do it to make a living....I ride Flatland and do shows to let youth know no matter what they want to do they can have fun...I also do it so they know it is a Bmx discipline they may have not thought of...I have had kids extremely stoked on learning it and some who prefere other things....My point is in life we are all role models to young people whether we ride or do other things...Many people like flatland because it is positive, great friends, progressive, artistic and more....what not at least let others know it is out there...if they want to learn then I will always be there to help them...after all this is how I found flatland...some riders by the name of Steve Mulder, Perry Mervar and Bill Nitsky (Mispelled)....These riders were always tearing it up and I respected this cool new thing....I say if people want to wake up and ride and be on there own...let them..this may be how they deal with stress and all other problems in life...If a rider wants to promote themselves and make a living.....that is their dream....I have seen Flatland come and for some go but, it has always lived....because of all of your hearts and you untitig as brothers....the funny thing is I have been to some Jams and contest and all of us here who state are opinions and some agree and disagree...most of us would be riding with each other next week all the same if we could.....That is why Flatland is what it is....because we are all close...I think if it stays a live...which it will outlast all of us....and one day the younger guys will get on the computer again and discuss old school/new school...we have already done it justice....We all ride to have fun....anything else that happens will come in time...some promote flatland others just love doing it...I say to each there own because even the guy or girl just busting locally will have others see them and ask about it...I bet all of us has at some point helped someone get started....Just my two cents and I hope I did not offend anyone!

God Bless;
Chris

Budz

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 10:16:27 PM »
beers-up  :beer:

Offline jmctigret

• Backpacker
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 11:10:26 PM »

Just to let everybody know my threads are just jokes to make you laugh. I started flatland in 86 so I did all those silly old school tricks.

Have a great day.
Jerry

Offline williamflat

• Backpacker
  • Williamflat
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 11:12:40 PM »
   Mark Eaton words in dorkin 10
   it was something like that

" when i created the video ...capture the riders ...not necessarily capture
   biggest tricks , longs combos or rolades ..but the feeling ..what lives behind between   riders and bikes "

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:50:37 PM by williamflat »

Offline pwh4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 12:15:07 AM »
I like to ride.  It's fun.  Not much else matters on my tennis court.  Live and let live, guys.

Budz

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 12:17:59 AM »
 :beer:

Offline medl4

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:16 AM »
dont let the masses get ahold of this beautifull underground culture, trust me i skateboarded since 96 when sh*t was kool, than tony hawk pro skater games start pouring out and it turned into hell. it got to the point where i myself felt korny being at a park/ spot with 30 little  5th graders arguing about who's better and basically haveing a jock mentality about something that is an artform. it could happen to flat, but my guess is kids wont wanna put the time in to learning
since from what i can tell so far into my flatland career is horrible more difficult than learning ollies and kickflips

Offline Oltorf

• Cliffhanger
  • It's time to get serious!
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 12:37:19 AM »
Williamflat brings up the point of having a soccer based country. I've seen countries like that, that's way cool. I don't know what TX has for a pastime, but it's not athletic. Mostly it's drinking, drugs, tv, shopping, and eating. I never see kids playing sports outside in neighborhoods, I see alot of lazy people around.

I'm aware that I'm lazy.   :beer: 
Sickchild           Sequence                    bmxfreestyler.com                           720 Action Sports

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 12:32:56 PM »
i think no mater what, flatland will never die :beer: simple as that

timk4130

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »
I don't know what TX has for a pastime, but it's not athletic. Mostly it's drinking, drugs, tv, shopping, and eating. I never see kids playing sports outside in neighborhoods, I see alot of lazy people around.

I'm aware that I'm lazy.   :beer: 

thats funny!

i told my wife i want to take a trip to tx in the next week or so , instead of going back to ohio this time
and she asked me what was in tx.
so i told her the alamo!!!!!

lol

Offline williamflat

• Backpacker
  • Williamflat
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 10:35:27 PM »

the brazilians think "you are what you have"
 if you appear on tv or gain much money ....they like you
 the riders dont have support or sponsors and the people can't imagine how much
 we practice to ride well ...our hurts , difficulties , broken pieces ..
 a long time ago was harder to get parts cause the dolar was very expensive to us
 we dont have good companies too... a lot of riders began and stopped fast cause these  difficuts...i hope one day all this things change

see u

always riding

Offline Muse

• Backpacker
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 02:46:24 AM »

Offline Selected

• Hitchhiker
  • "I used to be an English major."
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 09:05:41 AM »
I rode at a public park for six months and although I've had many beautiful moments when children or adults would sit together and watch me for hours, mostly teens and 20-somethings would just be like "f--- that." In my area of PA, most teens and 20-somethings just want to wear expensive jeans, listen to music and basically do nothing... Kind of sad. Whatever.
Welcome to the truth of flatland. (Wilkes-Barre, Pa - Represent)