“Flatland is all about having your own identity, with the use of brakes in a “brakeless world” and trying to learn every single trick on the flat ground I feel like a freestyler, this is my identity. I have free mind, free spirit, free soul, free from any rules. Flatland means hard work, stamina, faith, imagination, creation, originality, progression, values that stands the test of time and are beyond any trends or anything else.”
The following paragraph stood out to me from the recent Part 1 interview I did with Giannis Caternellis from Athens, Greece. We discussed this video before the interviews came out and as timing would have it, it fits in nicely in between Part 1 and Part 2.
Giannis’ new edit strikes a different chord than my usual “Must Watch” edit, his interview and this edit made me think about how “Free” freestyle really is. All these so called rules we make on our riding, don’t touch the tyre, don’t drop the bike, don’t scrape bars, the list goes on. I am as guilty as anyone of this!
I experienced a series of emotions from watching “Originalidade #5”. I laughed, I cringed, I screamed WTF!, I questioned myself “Would I show this in an edit?”, the answer was no. When you think about it, as much as people wax lyrical about you have to original, if you truly are original, when you are original you might upset someone. You can’t do that??
Giannis’ I don’t give a fuck attitude is a lesson to us all, this guy truly lives the freestyle life. The way he documents his limited riding time is as real as gets, you don’t have to like it, he’s living it! I took a lot out of this edit and wanted to share some of my favourite parts with you all. God bless the internet, for we might never see Giannis’ riding otherwise. The power of video parts is so important to our culture. Well done Giannis!
– The opening switch handed fork wheelie two footed no comply crackpacker jump to steam at the 1:01 mark.
– The ice cream side roly poly out at 1:13, WTF! Really??
– Opposite lawn stall to no handed puppet to xft pedal backwards decade out at 1:58!
– One of my favourite clips is the opposite lawn in what looks like his yard, walkover decade to caboose body varial track stand out at 2:51! So good!
– Straight bar Xft hitch pivot to backwards backpacker line at 3:37.
– Wheelie to time machine pedal two caboose back out to pedal time machine, simple idea I haven’t seen before at 4:12.