As I promised in my last post about the new Aresbikes “BOO four” hubs, I bring you more information about the changes Aresbikes made on the their hubs. Please consider that these are prototype hubs and the final versions may differ from these prototypes.
BOO four front hub
- like all of you noticed, the logo on the hub changed
- the hub has now a male axle
- to increase strength of the new “BOO four” hub and to avoid bent axles, the design of the bearing cones on both sides changed
- to decrease the rolling resistance of the hub, the “BOO four” hub is equipped with metal shield bearings instead of rubber sealed bearings. Like a rubber seal, the metal shield retains lubricant and prevents contamination from entering the bearing raceways. But since there is no contact between the metal shield and the inner ring of the bearing, the torque and speed limitations are virtually unaffected and the performance of the bearing is almost identical to that of an open bearing. With this bearings you definitely will roll further and longer.
BOO four freecoaster hub
- the inner life is improved (no further details available at this point)
- the hub has a redesigned 9T cog which allows the use of ultra light 3/32″ chains
- the axle length changed from 180mm to 175mm
- the con nut on the driver side is now Cr-Mo (before alloy)